Dedicated to my enjoyment of Cigars and Pipes

Friday, February 10, 2012

Pipe Or Cigar...Maybe both?

Welcome to my Second post in this blog.  This time I am going to compare my cigar and pipe smoking and which is better....at least in my opinion. ;)

Hmmm........Tough Choice

Background

I started smoking real cigars in 1999 during a training deployment to the Dominican Republic.  Prior to that I had infrequently smoked a few drug store brands which I now affectionately refer to as the floor sweepings from good cigars.  Not long after my trip to the Dominican Republic and being exposed to the qualities of a good cigar I made a point to secure a nice cigar for special occasions and events.  At Christmas 2001 I received a nice 200 count humidor that I have maintained since at home.  Over the years I have tried many blends and types of cigars to include several fine Cubans during my travels.  I became a subscriber to cigar publications and would classify myself as an occasional aficionado making regular trips to the local B&M and a few online orders


Camp Black horse Cigar Club, Afghanistan 2008

Then in 2008 I was deployed to Afghanistan.  As part of my packing list I included my travel humidor and a small black book which I had started to tape labels from every new cigar I smoked and take a few notes to keep a record.  Due to the generosity of several individuals, a B&M and the guys at Puff.com (Then club stogie) who donated cigars for the troops I had the opportunity to smoke and amazing variety of cigars during that deployment.  Don't get me wrong being deployed away from home and family to a combat zone sucks, but the generosity of these people made it much more bearable.  During this period I had the opportunity to sample more cigars than I ever would have otherwise.

First Pipe
It was also this deployment that introduced me to the nuances of pipe smoking.  Before I left a good friend and fellow officer who I had enjoyed many a cigar with gave me my first pipe.  It is a beautiful large briar.  To make it even more special he had made it himself as he had taken up pipe making as a hobby and was selling them on consignment.  He provided me some basic instructions, a tin of MacBaren Vanilla Cream and a wood tamper.  It is this friend I now hold responsible for my new found love of pipes. 



Those that have been deployed know there are times when you are extremely busy and then periods of intense boredom.  As a result I had the opportunity to search the web and learn what I could about pipes in my free time.  I stumbled across a site that is now called Puff.com that is devoted to cigars as well as includes a nice pipe forum.  I continued with my love of cigars, but also explored more on pipes.  Thanks to online shopping and e-bay I soon had a collection of several pipes as well as a variety of fine tobaccos some of which were given to me as samplers from other online smokers who were strangers to me, but shared the love of pipe smoking.

Cigars vs. Pipes


Pipes in Afghanistan
 As I acquired my collection of pipes I was amazed by one thing, the cost comparison of smoking a pipe vs. cigars.  At the time I could get a tin of Quality pipe Tobacco for $7-10 which would provide 20+ smokes depending on the size of the pipe I was using.  If I were to buy the same quality box of cigars it could easily cost $75-100+ for a box.   Hmmm....something did not make sense, I enjoyed cigars, but economically pipe smoking seemed to make more sense.  On top of that I could acquire several types of pipe tobacco for the cost of that one box of cigars. 

Another issue I noted was that while I thoroughly enjoyed a cigar not all those around me enjoy the the cigar smell and I have experienced the occasional odd look or wrinkled nose when in public.  This phenomenon has never been the case when I have smoked a pipe and in many cases I have received complements from non-smokers when enjoying an good pipe.  It has even gone so far that some of my non-smoking friends have actually encouraged me to light up while sitting around a camp fire.

The choice seems simple pipes easily win out over cigars.  Sure you have the initial cost of a nice pipe which can range from $5(corn cob) to hundreds depending on your taste and budget with many nice ones in the $20-60 range.  Despite the initial cost if treated properly a pipe can last a lifetime and you cannot say that about cigars.  While I enjoy maintaining a collection of cigars when you use a cigar as it is intended (smoke it) in the end you end up with nothing tangible to show for it except a empty humidor and hopefully a good memory with friends.

Arguments against Pipe and Cigar Smoking

Today we are faced with many in society who make claims that all tobacco products are evil.  I will never say that smoking of any kind of tobacco is good for you, but at the same time I do not feel that all tobacco products are equally as bad.  I credit this to the fact that unlike other tobacco products where manufactures add nicotine this is not the case with the majority of pipe and cigar tobacco.  Personally I do not feel I have developed and addiction to either like many some will claim will happen with all tobacco products.  As stated I will not claim they are good for you, I am just saying that I think it is a choice we make and one that should be made in moderation like all the good things in life.  I know that currently I can walk away from either at any time as I do so quite often when the weather is not favorable for enjoying either.  You will not catch me in the rain or freezing cold smoking and there are many times throughout the year I go without smoking either for weeks at a time.


So What is it Cigars of Pipes?

Current Desk-top
In the end the answer is both cigars and pipes for me in moderation.  You will likely always find one or more well stocked humidors in my possession, but it will likely be a pipe that I smoked most recently.   If you are currently a cigar aficionado I would encourage you to give a pipe a try even if just a corn cob at first, but be careful it is a slippery slope and in no time you can find yourself owning a few pipes and several tobaccos all for less than the cost of that next box of cigars.  :)

 


Current Pipe Line-up

Despite the many advantages of pipe smoking over cigar smoking both are still a luxury item in my view.  I doubt I will ever give up cigars as long as afford the occasional indulgence and the same for pipes.  I will admit more often these days I prefer a good pipe over cigars probably four to one, but a fine cigar with friends is still a good thing.




I will always enjoy an occasional cigar, but if I had to choose between the two I would have to go with a fine briar or meerschaum pipe with one of my favorite blends every time.

3 comments:

  1. HA ha .. I agree with just about everything here.. I am like you and you won't find me in 4 feet of snow smoking a 45 minute cigar or a 30 minute pipe.. it amazes me how many people will request a pipe smoker light up.. I had similar experiences with friends over the years.. including my time in the Coast Guard.. I look forward to your next blog..
    Gunnar
    'rote Flugel' from the board

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here i found so many important topic to learn. As a businessman i provide digital joint case and it's beneficial side is it will protect your joint or cigar from ruining. These case are also good looking. You can also try it.

    ReplyDelete